Thursday, February 19, 2009

music fan ... Some of my favorite songs (Part 4)

  1. Fix You by Coldplay - This song may have not been written as a religious song, but to me it has huge overtones of God's love for us. Many times it coaxes tears from Larry or I or both when we hear it because of how much it connects with us. We're not perfect, as no one is, and only God can fix us.
  2. What Child is This? by MercyMe - This is a well known Christmas song, but this version has a different tone to it. A very hauntingly beautiful, even somber tone. It threatens to make me cry every time I hear it.
  3. Through the Fire and the Flames by Dragonforce - Another Guitar Hero song, with absolutely insane guitar playing. I found a video on YouTube of the song and my jaw just dropped when I saw what they were doing. The vocals are so epic as well. Count me as a fan of the band now!
  4. Open Up the Sky by FFH - Randy introduced me to this song, complete with boy band type dance moves. We've expanded on those since and I hope someday Frank and Beth will sing this song so I can bust out the moves in church for the glory of the Lord.
  5. Feeling Good by Michael Buble - Michael has a wonderful voice and a fantastic style in this song. He harkens back to Sinatra with his playful lyrics and fun style, a breath of fresh air into the music scene.
  6. Thief (2006) by Third Day - I found this song through Yahoo! Launchcast. There is an earlier version, much simpler using piano instead of guitar, where Mac doesn't really sound like himself yet. It is a powerful point of view, as is par for the course with Third Day, of the crucifixition.
  7. Knights of Cydonia by Muse - Guitar Hero brought me this song, and many many laughs as Larry attempted to play it. I'll never forget when he got through the most difficult part, and then his hand was so tired he couldn't finish.
  8. Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin - I think most people know this song already as it is considered a classic masterpiece. It is just an awesome showcase of great musicians.
  9. Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone) (Live) by Chris Tomlin - The live version of this song is just awesome, with guest singers on the verses, and ending with the entire audience joining in singing, "Praise God" to the tune of Amazing Grace. We heard it at church the first time and just fell in love with the powerful nature of it.
  10. Paper Sun by Def Leppard - I first heard this song at a Def Leppard concert Larry gave me tickets to as a wedding gift. The lyrics kind of represented who I was at the time; angry at my father and damaged in spirit.

No comments: