Monday, February 16, 2009

music fan ... Some of my favorite songs

I was going to try and give you my ten favorite songs, but ... that didn't work. So, I'm going to give you my list in groups of ten over the next few days. I'll explain why each song is important to me, or why I like it so much, and include links to lyrics as much as possible.

So, the first ten, in no particular order:
  1. Neon Moonlight by Rosco Matinez - This one is important because just after I got this single I took a trip to Terre Haute with my A&P teacher for a symposium at ISU. I got sick, the water and heat in the hotel room were broken, and I swore I would never come back to this city again. Boy was I wrong! I honestly feel like both Larry, and God, were saying "Hurry up, hurry up, won't ya just come on home?"
  2. The Word is Alive by Casting Crowns - This song reminds me that His Word is always there and Jesus is always with me in the Word. It is an amazing text of Truth.
  3. Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) by Journey - This was an instrumental song in inspiring me to write with my best friend back in middle school. We even set a "scene" to this song, with two characters both dreaming and sitting up in bed at the end, crying out "No!"
  4. Whiskey in the Jar by Metallica - This song was made special by Larry. After our first date, he told me he listened to it all the way home, substituting the name Holli for Molly. How sweet is that?!
  5. Wonderful God by Hillsong United - This song was the first one I ever felt comfortable raising my hands in worship to that wasn't during a raging thunderstorm. The lyrics are just amazing to me and speak so clearly of God.
  6. Photograph by Nickelback - This song breaks my heart a little bit every time I hear it because it brings up memories of the house I grew up in. Despite the chaos and bad things that happened there, it was so important to me, and remembering "looking out the back door" and "walking out the front door" is hard now that it's not a part of my life anymore. It's bringing tears to my eyes as I type this in fact. So much of the lyrics are about me.
  7. Carry My Cross by Third Day - I fell in love with this for the perspective it's sung from. Talking about things from Christ's point of view is a very unqiue thing and it is very powerful.
  8. This Man by Jeremy Camp - This song actually jumpstarted my journey back to God. Larry had started listening to WBGL and shared this song with me, which made me start listening, which drew me close to Him again, and the rest is history.
  9. Wanna Make Love to You by Eric Clapton - I guess the meaning of this song is pretty obvious, so I won't say much more than it's a"mood setter" for me.
  10. Maneater by Hall and Oates - I heard this song on the radio a lot as a kid, but the thing that made it stick with me happened in 4th grade. Our teacher had left the room and one of the other kids was keeping "watch". When she came into sight, he broke into, "Oh oh here she comes/She's a maneater". I ratted him out of course. Years later, I saw him again we shared a laugh about the whole thing and he, my boyfriend, and I hung out for a while when they worked together.
More songs tomorrow!

1 comment:

amy said...

oh my, you have such a variety!