Saturday, November 1, 2008

mommy ... All I Want for Chrithmith - from October 9, 2007

Number two in my series of re-posts from my former blog. Enjoy ...

***

Well, after literally months of waiting, it has happened. Brianna lost her two front teeth in the course of a morning. I was still asleep, having taken NyQuil to try and combat this nasty cold I have, and when I got up Larry told me Brianna had a surprise for me when she got home. I was dubious, as surprises from Brianna lately have involved stealing, lying, or other such bad things, but he assured me it was good.

I had forgotten about it when she burst through the front door, but was reminded when she held up a baggie with two teeth and grinned at me happily. It made me very happy to see her happy, as we’ve been struggling the past couple of weeks with her behavior. It also reminded me of when I was young and had to sit through school while I waited to tell my mom something very exciting in my young life. Luckily for Brianna, it was a half day today, so she only had to wait until noon.

Being a parent is hard. Very hard. It is a thankless job a lot of the time right now, because my kids don’t understand everything that we do for them. But on days like today, when Brianna is carefree and thrilled to have lost two teeth, and she and Connor are running around the front yard in the beautiful fall weather that has finally arrived, it’s a great job to have. It takes me back to the days when I did the same thing with two little brothers in the backyard, unaware of the pressures of the world, oblivious to anything but the leaves and the swingset and the sunshine.

I have too few of those memories for reasons I won’t go into here, but it’s nice to have them renewed. And it’s very nice to see my children building those memories that I know will stay with them forever. All I really want for my kids is for them to be happy, healthy, God loving people, and today I have my wish.

----------------
Now playing: Glory Revealed - By His Wounds
via FoxyTunes

No comments: